If you’re planning to update your beloved cooking area, you’re likely aware of how important it is to pick the right elements. Finding the right blend of functionality and style is an adventure in itself, especially when it comes to custom-made cabinetry on Cape Cod.
With so many different styles at your fingertips, a key decision that often stumps homeowners is this: opting for the airy feel of open shelving or the classic charm of traditional closed cabinets? If you want to make sure you’re making an informed decision, keep on reading. We’ll compare these two distinct styles below.
Are shelves or cabinets better?
To put it simply, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. The reason that both these styles exist and grace kitchens worldwide is precisely because they’re both great and have their advantages – as well as some potential downsides. It’s more a matter of what is better for you and your space. Let’s explore both sides of this style coin.
Imagine your kitchen walls adorned with open shelves, where your favorite dishes and quirky mugs are not just stored, but displayed with pride. Let’s take a closer look at their:
- Style on display: These shelves turn your kitchenware into a part of your decor, showcasing your personality.
- Convenience: Your essentials are right there, within arm’s reach, making cooking a breeze.
- Open feel: They can make even the coziest kitchens feel more open and spacious.
- Regular cleaning: Dust loves these shelves as much as you do, so regular dusting becomes a part of your routine.
- Organizing skills: It’s like living in a glass house. Everything on display means everything needs to look good.
- Storage limitations: While they’re great for certain items, bulky or less attractive kitchenware may not find a home here.
- Easier organization: Keep your kitchen clutter out of sight and mind, making for a neat and organized look.
- More space: They allow you to utilize more of the available space for storage, minimizing dead space in your kitchen.
- Design versatility: Whether it’s a modern or a rustic look, they can be tailored to fit any kitchen theme.
- Top-level reach: Sometimes, what you need gets lost in the depths of a cabinet shelf.
- Bigger investment: Quality comes at a price, and fitted furniture can be a significant investment.
- Specialized upkeep: Depending on your choice of material and finish, the material may require specific cleaning methods.
Choosing the right option
We’ve already established that there’s no universal answer to which option is better, but how do you determine which one is right for you? It all depends on your home, lifestyle, needs, and tastes. You should consider all these factors when making a decision. Visualize how your time in the kitchen will unfold with each option, and assess if there are aspects of either choice that may prove inconvenient down the road.
And if you still make a decision and see the appeal in both options, why not consider a hybrid approach? Evaluate the zones in your planned kitchen and determine where each style fits best. This way, you can enjoy the best of both worlds.
Where can I find some high-quality custom-made cabinetry on Cape Cod?
Feeling stuck between open shelving and closed cabinets for your kitchen remodel on Cape Cod? Then visit our CPP Kitchen & Bath showroom in West Dennis for a dash of inspiration and a helping hand. Here, you’ll find a diverse range of options that promise both beauty and practicality. Come explore with us, discover designs that speak to you, and let’s collaborate to turn your kitchen into a space that’s uniquely yours. Your journey to the perfect kitchen can start today!